A truly South African reading instruction programme developed to inspire a love of reading
Vuma is a carefully levelled, South African reading instruction programme that will inspire a love of reading and ensure that children learn to read with comprehension.
The programme will enable teachers to assess, monitor and support reading and comprehension progress easily and effectively. It has several different components that work together to improve reading outcomes.
- Levelled Readers and Big Books written in the language in which they have been published.
- Teacher’s Guides that include resources and step-by-step instructions to help you use the various components of the programme.
- Workbooks that provide further reading practice to ensure learners develop essential reading skills.
- Alphabet Frieze, Posters, Context Cards and Audio Stories to support your teaching in the classroom.
Vuma is available in Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu and Sepedi Home Languages as well as English First Additional Language.
Helping learners to read with understanding
For us, it’s not enough just to make products and provide services. We need to know that they are working and that they deliver the most positive impact to our learners. We have worked closely with schools and teachers to ensure Vuma provides learners and teachers with the tools required to improve reading.
In 2016 and 2017 we conducted a study to compare the reading progress of learners using Vuma English First Additional Language with learners not using Vuma, at schools across Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal. Here are some of the findings:
- Grade 1 Vuma learners out-performed non-Vuma learners by 9%.
- 96% of teachers agreed that Vuma increases productivity.
- 83% of teachers strongly agreed that Vuma improves the quality of their work.